Grants and subsidies
Taike awards around 35 million euros a year in grants and subsidies for the promotion of the arts and culture.
Taike and its 20 arts councils and two separate boards award around 21.6 million euros a year in grants to professional artists. Artist grants account for approximately 11 million euros of the total amount.
Grants are awarded to individuals and working groups formed by them.
Taike awards almost 8 million euros a year in operational subsidies and special subsidies to more than 150 communities. Special subsidies account for approximately 2.7 million euros of the total amount.
Subsidies are awarded to registered and legal communities, such as associations, foundations, cooperatives, companies and municipalities.Last modified: 31.07.2017
Public Display Grants
Call for applications
02.01.2018 - 31.01.2018
The deadline for submitting applications is 4:00pm on the last day of the application period.
Grant application during the above application period may be submitted online. Click on the link below to access the online service (the service is available in Finnish and in Swedish only). To log in you will require eBanking identifiers, a mobile certificate or an electronic ID card.
The Arts Promotion Centre Finland requires that applicants familiarise themselves with the call for applications and application guidelines before filling in the application.
What to include with your application
Criteria to be used in decision-making
Additional terms and conditions
Grounds for not awarding a grant
Submitting applications by post
Notification of decision
The Board for Public Display Grants to Visual Artists awards five-month working grants to visual artists, media artists and designers whose works may be displayed in public. These grants are available to artists who reside or have resided permanently in Finland.
These grants are intended to support professional and long-term artistic work. The amount of the grant is 8 000 euros.
Public display grants are not available to applicants
- who have received a public display grant in the previous year
- who have received full-year state artist grants or other long term working grants during the same year
- who have received a supplementary State artist pension.
Please include the following attachments with your application
- CV of the artist (pdf|doc|docx) – mandatory.
- Five images of recent work (jpg |jpeg). Saved on a CD or DVD (jpg |jpeg) when applications submitted on paper.
- A list of the images specifying their size, production technique and year completed
- CV of the artist (pdf|doc|docx) – mandatory.
- A sample/collage of your work as a video or other moving image (max 3 minutes)
- A still image of one of your works (jpg |jpeg)
Attachments may not be sent by e-mail, and applications or attachments shall not be returned.
If possible, save the images and related information as a single file (pdf|doc|docx|jpg|jpeg). Alternatively, you can save five separate images (jpg |jpeg) plus a list of the images. The maximum permitted file size for each attachment is 4 Mb. Attached images shall be viewed on a computer screen.
Do not send files containing videos or other moving images as attachments. Instead, upload the sample/collage of your work (max 3 minutes) to an online video service and include the link on the application form under “websites”. If you choose to protect the link with a password, please provide the password after the link. You can also submit your sample/collage on a DVD and send it by post (Arts Promotion Centre Finland, P.O. Box 1001, 00531 HELSINKI). Write “Public display grants” on the envelope. Attachments sent by post must arrive no later than 15 February 2018.
Attachments sent by post will be processed and added to Taike’s online application review system. Attached images shall be viewed primarily on a computer screen.
Factors that may influence the decision include
- the applicant’s prior artistic activities
- the work plan
These grants are discretionary.
Obligations of grant recipients:
- To take a leave of absence from his/her regular employment during the grant period
- To submit after the grant period written clarification of how the grant funds were used
- To take out pension and accident insurance. These insurance policies must be applied for within three months of the start of the grant period. Applications should be submitted to the Farmers' Social Insurance Institution Mela. Further information: www.mela.fi
Other grants awarded by Taike and its arts councils are taken into consideration when awarding grants. Taike does not award multiple state grants for the same purpose.
Grants recipients may not transfer personal grant funds to the account of a company or community.
- If the application arrives after the application deadline – applications must arrive by 4:00 pm on the last day of the application period.
- If the application is incomplete (if the required information has not been delivered to the Arts Promotion Centre Finland following a request for such information)
- If the applicant has not submitted written clarification of previously awarded grants before the deadline
This subsidy is subject to the Act (966/2015) on Laki eräistä kuvataiteen tekijöille suoritettavista apurahoista (only in Finnish), the Act (657/2012) and statute (727/2012) on Taiteen edistämiskeskus (only in Finnish); Discretionary Government Transfers (688/2001); Administrative Procedure Act (434/2003). The Arts Promotion Centre Finland monitors the use of subsidies and is entitled if necessary to review the finances and activities of the recipient.
Grant applications can also be submitted by printing out the application form, filling it in and sending it by post to the Arts Promotion Centre Finland’s head office or a regional office. Applications must arrive by 4:00 pm on the last day of the application period.
Applications should be submitted either electronically or on paper (not both).
Decisions for awarding grants are made by The Board for Public Display Grants to Visual Artists. All applicants shall be informed of the decision in writing.
Special advisor Tuulikki Koskinen
tel. 0295 330 703
tel. 0295 330 700