Grants are intended for professional artists or working groups formed by them, as well as for experts in different fields of the arts.Application period: 16.11.2017 - 28.02.2018
Grants to Writers and Translators
Call for applications
02.01.2017 - 31.01.2017
The deadline for submitting applications is 4:00pm on the last day of the application period.
Grant application during the above application period may be submitted online. Click on the link below to access the online service (the service is available in Finnish and in Swedish only). To log in you will require eBanking identifiers, a mobile certificate or an electronic ID card.
The Arts Promotion Centre Finland requires that applicants familiarise themselves with the application notification and application guidelines before filling in the application.
If you are applying as an elderly writer or translator, or on the basis of an illness or disability, please see Subsidies to Writers and Translators.
Each year the Board for Grants and Subsidies for Writers and Translators awards grants and subsidies to writers and translators of both fiction and non-fiction who live or have lived permanently in Finland and whose work enriches Finnish cultural life.
Grants and subsidies for works of fiction are awarded to representatives of the following literary genres: fictional prose (novels, short stories), poetry, drama, aphorisms, essays, books for children and young people, niche literature (science fiction, fantasy, speculative fiction, detective stories, fictional nature stories), as well as albums and comic books that include a lot of text.
Grants and subsidies for works of non-fiction are awarded to writers and translators of general non-fiction books. They are not awarded to authors or translators of scientific research, text books or similar works of professional literature within a narrow field.
These grants are intended to support professional and long-term creative work. The grants may be used to support writers and translators at different stages of their work.
The grant shall not be awarded
- who have received full-year state artist grants or other long term working grants during the same year
- who have received a supplementary State artist pension.
The amount of the grant is 4 000 to 14 500 euros. For work lasting four months or more, grants inclusive of MYEL insurance are awarded as follows:
- four-month work: 7 000 euros
- five-month work: 8 500 euros
- six-month work: 10 000 euros
- seven-month work: 11 500 euros
- eight-month work: 13 000 euros
- nine-month work: 14 500 euros.
Please include the following attachments with your application
- CV (pdf | doc | docx) – mandatory
- Max number of other attachments: 2. The file names should describe the content.
Notice and double-check that
- Max file size per attachment is 2Mb
- Include your name on all appendices
- Attachments may not be sent by e-mail.
If your latest publication is self-published or a print-on-demand work, it should be sent to the Arts Promotion Centre Finland as an attachment or appendix.
Attachments may not be sent by e-mail, and applications or attachments shall not be returned.
Work plan is taken into account when evaluating applications, as well as the amount of funding that has been allocated.
The applicant must have at least one published work or other similar documented merit as a writer or translator. For works of drama, the performance of the play shall be considered equal to publication unless the play has been published in book form. The occasional submission of articles or a contribution to an anthology shall not be considered sufficient evidence of previous published work.
Factors that influence the decision include:
- the work plan (described in more detail in the application guidelines)
- the applicant’s previous works
- the applicant’s current creative work situation
- the effect of the grant on the applicant’s work.
These grants are discretionary.
Additional terms and conditions
Obligations of grant recipients:
- To take a leave of absence from his/her regular employment for grant periods of at least four months.
- To take out pension and accident insurance if the grant period is at least four months. These insurance policies must be applied for within three months of the start of the grant period. Applications should be submitted to the Farmers' Social Insurance Institution Mela. Further information: www.mela.fi.
- To submit after the end of the grant period clarification in writing of how the grant funds were spent.
Note: The grant period cannot be backdated.
Other grants awarded by Taike and its arts councils are taken into consideration when awarding grants. Taike does not award multiple state grants for the same purpose at the same time.
Grants recipients may not transfer personal grant funds or those of a working group to the account of a company or community.
Grounds for not awarding a grant
The awarding and amount of a grant may be influenced by working plan other grants awarded during the same application year.
- If the application arrives after the application deadline. Applications must arrive by 4:00pm on the last day of the application period.
- If the application is incomplete (if the required information has not be delivered to the Arts Promotion Centre Finland following a request for such information)
- If the applicant has not submitted written clarification of previously awarded grants before the deadline.
This subsidy is subject to the Act (236/1961) and statute (46/1964) on eräistä kirjailijoille ja kääntäjille suoritettavista apurahoista ja avustuksista (only in Finnish); Act (657/2012) and statute (727/2012) on Taiteen edistämiskeskus (only in Finnish); Discretionary Government Transfers (688/2001); Administrative Procedure Act (434/2003). The Arts Promotion Centre Finland monitors the use of subsidies and is entitled if necessary to review the finances and activities of the recipient.
Applications for grants can also be submitted by printing out the application form, filling it in and sending it by post to the Arts Promotion Centre Finland. Applications must arrive by 4:00pm on the last day of the appliction period. It is not sufficient that applications be postmarked on the last day.
Applications should be submitted either electronically or on paper (not both).
All applicants shall be informed of the decision in May at the latest.
t. +358 295 330 700
Subsidies for communities
Avustukset on tarkoitettu sosiaali- ja terveyspalveluja tuottavien yhteisöjen kehittämishankkeisiin.Application period ended: 02.11.2017
Erityisavustukset kulttuurilehdille on tarkoitettu vahvistamaan kulttuurista moninaisuutta, tiedonvälityksen monipuolisuutta ja moniarvoisuutta yhteiskunnassa.Application period ended: 02.11.2017
Special subsidies are intended for operating costs and development projects of international artist-in-residencies in Finland.Application period ended: 02.11.2017
Special subsidies are intended for projects that promote community spirit and everyday creative activities and environments, as well as to support occupational wellbeing by means of culture and art.Application period ended: 02.11.2017
Subsidies are intended for art and cultural festivals that have national or regional significance.Application period ended: 02.11.2017
Operational subsidies are intended to support the ongoing operations of communities in different fields of the arts, such as associations, foundations, co-operatives and companies.Application period ended: 02.11.2017
The subsidies are intended for communities. The objective of these subsidies is to promote inclusion and participation in culture, as well as intercultural dialogue.Application period ended: 02.11.2017
Subsidies are intended to support the artistic and cultural activities of national disability organisations and communities.Application period ended: 02.11.2017
Subsidies are intended to communities operating in region for individual projects in children’s and youth culture.Application period ended: 15.03.2017