Public Display Grants
Call for applications
02.01.2019 - 31.01.2019
The deadline for submitting applications is 4:00pm on the last day of the application period.
Grant application during the above application period may be submitted online. Click on the link below to access the online service (the service is available in Finnish and in Swedish only). To log in you will require eBanking identifiers, a mobile certificate or an electronic ID card.
The Arts Promotion Centre Finland requires that applicants familiarise themselves with the call for applications and application guidelines before filling in the application.
Purpose and amount
Criteria to be used in decision-making
Additional terms and conditions
What to include with your application
Grounds for not awarding a grant
Submitting applications by post
Notification of decision
Public display grants are intended for professional artists in the fields of the visual arts, media art and design whose works may be displayed publicly. These grants are available to artists who reside or have resided permanently in Finland.
Public display grants are intended to support the work of professional artists in 2019. The amount of the grant is approx. 10 400 euros and it is awarded as a six-month working grant.
Public display grants are not available to applicants
- who have received a public display grant in the previous year
- who have received full-year state artist grants or other long-term working grants during the same year
- who have received a supplementary State artist pension.
Previously awarded grants are listed on the Arts Promotion Centre Finland website.
Grant decisions are based on an overall evaluation of applications. The Board for Public Display Grants to Visual Artists evaluates all applications. Factors that may influence the decision include the applicant’s prior artistic activities, the work plan and previously awarded grants.
Quality and impact of the artistic activity
- How notable is the applicant in his/her field of the arts?
- Does the working plan adequately describe the applicant’s artistic approach?
- Is the applicant a professional?
- How clear and strong is the artistic idea on which the working plan is based?
- What artistic challenges or professional development does the artistic activity involve?
- Does the artistic activity have local, regional, national or international significance?
- Does the artistic activity encourage a broader understanding of art or promote debate about art?
- Is the artistic activity well planned and feasible?
In addition, regional and linguistic factors are also taken into account when evaluating applications, as well as the amount of funding that has been allocated. Attention is also be paid to equality including gender equality.
These grants are discretionary.
- The grant must be used in the year that the grant is awarded. The grant period may not begin retroactively.
- Grant recipients must submit after the grant period written clarification of how the grant funds were used.
- The grant includes statutory pension and accident insurance issued by the Farmers' Social Insurance Institution Mela. Grant recipients are responsible for applying for the pension and accident insurance. The insurance must be applied for within three months of the start of the grant period. Applications should be submitted to the Farmers' Social Insurance Institution Mela. Further information: www.mela.fi
- Grant recipients may not transfer personal grant funds to the account of a company or community.
- Taike does not award multiple state grants for the same purpose.
- Grants awarded by other parties are taken into consideration when awarding grants.
- CV of the artist – mandatory
- 1-5 images of recent work
- A list of the images specifying their name, size, production technique and year completed
If possible, save the images and related information as a single pdf file (max. 4 Mb). Alternatively, you can save each image as a separate pdf file. The maximum permitted file size for each attachment is 4 Mb. The file names should describe the content.
Do not send files containing videos or other moving images as attachments. Instead, include in your application a link to your website or online video service (max 3 minute sample of your work). If the link is password protected, please provide the password after the link.
Attachments may not be sent by e-mail. Applications and attachments will not be returned.
- If the application arrives after the application deadline – applications must arrive by 4:00 pm on the last day of the application period.
- If the application is incomplete (if the required information has not been delivered to the Arts Promotion Centre Finland following a request for such information)
- If the applicant has not submitted written clarification of previously awarded grants before the given deadline.
This grant is subject to the Act on Compensation Grants to Visual Artists (115/1997) (only in Finnish), the Act (657/2012) and Statute (727/2012) on Taiteen edistämiskeskus (only in Finnish); the Act on Discretionary Government Transfers (688/2001), and the Administrative Procedure Act (434/2003). The Arts Promotion Centre Finland monitors the use of subsidies and is entitled if necessary to review the finances and activities of the recipient.
Grant applications can also be submitted by printing out the application form, filling it in and sending it by post to the Arts Promotion Centre Finland’s head office or a regional office. Applications must arrive by 4:00 pm on the last day of the application period.
Applications should be submitted either electronically or on paper (not both).
Decisions for awarding grants are made by The Board for Public Display Grants to Visual Artists. All applicants shall be informed of the decision in writing.
Grants for artists
Grants are intended for professional artists or working groups formed by them, as well as for experts in different fields of the arts.Application period ended: 15.08.2019
Artist grants are intended to support the work of professional artists in different fields of the arts. The grants are awarded for a period of between six months and five years.Application period ended: 03.04.2019
Project grants for children’s culture are intended for professional artists in the region or working groups formed by them. Private persons carrying on trade (private traders) may also apply.Application period ended: 13.03.2019
Project grants are intended for professional artists in the region and/or working groups formed by them. Private persons carrying on trade (private traders) may also apply project grant.Application period ended: 13.03.2019
Public display grants are intended for professional artists in the fields of the visual arts, media art and design whose works may be displayed publicly. These grants are available to artists who reside or have resided permanently in Finland.Application period ended: 31.01.2019
Grants for promoting multiculturalism are intended for artists and working groups.Application period ended: 15.11.2018
Project grants are intended to support the implementation of individual projects by professional artists and art journalists in different fields of the arts.Application period ended: 15.11.2018
Subsidies for communities
Erityisavustukset on tarkoitettu yhteisöille, jotka hankkivat rakennuskohteisiinsa taideteoksia.Application period ended: 13.03.2019
Erityisavustukset kulttuurilehdille on tarkoitettu vahvistamaan kulttuurista moninaisuutta, tiedonvälityksen monipuolisuutta ja moniarvoisuutta yhteiskunnassa.Application period ended: 31.10.2018
Subsidies are intended for operating costs and development projects of international artist-in-residencies in Finland.Application period ended: 31.10.2018
Special subsidies are intended for projects that promote community spirit and everyday creative activities and environments, as well as to support occupational wellbeing by means of culture and art.Application period ended: 31.10.2018
Subsidies are intended for art and cultural festivals that have national or regional significance.Application period ended: 31.10.2018
Operational subsidies are intended to support the ongoing operations of communities in different fields of the arts, such as associations, foundations, co-operatives and companies.Application period ended: 31.10.2018
Subsidies are intended to communities operating in region for individual projects in children’s and youth culture.Application period ended: 31.10.2018
These subsidies are intended to support individual projects of communities in different fields of the arts, such as associations, foundations, co-operatives and companies.Application period ended: 31.10.2018
The subsidies are intended for communities. The objective of these subsidies is to promote inclusion and participation in culture, as well as intercultural dialogue.Application period ended: 31.10.2018
Subsidies for promoting the cultural activities of disability communities and the accessibility of cultureApplication period ended: 31.10.2018