COVID-19 grants for artists and professionals in the culture and creative sectors
Call for applications
04.02.2022 - 17.02.2022
The deadline for submitting applications is 16:00 on the last day of the application period.
This is the absolute deadline by which time Taike must receive the application.
The Arts Promotion Centre Finland (Taike) requires that applicants familiarise themselves with the call for applications and guidelines for applying before filling in the application.
These working grants are intended for professional artists and other professionals in the culture and creative sectors whose work and livelihoods have been reduced or ceased altogether due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
These grants are intended for the applicant's own work or for the resumption of creative work and activities in a situation where the applicant has lost work opportunities or been prevented from practicing his or her profession. These grants are awarded to cover the cost of living and can be used, for example, to maintain professional skills, to plan activities, for practicing, for artistic or creative work, or for activities that support these.
This support is not available to applicants
- who have been awarded a state artist grant for 2022
- who have been awarded another grant for 2022 for a period of at least one year
- who have previously been awarded a supplementary state artist pension or who will receive a supplementary state artist pension as of 2022
- who have a full-time monthly paid job (100% working hours) during the application period.
- who are full-time students during the application period and are eligible for student financial aid.
If you work as an entrepreneur, submit just one application: either as a private person (this call for applications) or as an entrepreneur (Taike’s COVID-19 subsidies for private traders and sole proprietors).
Amount of support and terms
The amount of each grant is 4000 – 6000 euros. The amount shall be determined according the number of applications received. All grant recipients shall be awarded the same amount. The grant period is 01.04. – 30.06.2022.
The grant recipient may select the working months within this period.
Part-time employment and gig work during the grant period is permitted. As a general rule, an unemployment allowance or labour market subsidy is not paid during the grant period. Grant recipients should check with the payer of such benefits (unemployment fund or Kela).
In accordance with Section 82 of the Income Tax Act, grants awarded for artistic activities are tax free.
Who evaluates and decides
Taike’s experts shall evaluate applications and the Director shall make the final decisions based on a proposal by a Special Advisor.
On what basis applications are evaluated
The awarding of these grants is based on an evaluation of individual applications, a comparison between applications and an overall assessment of applications. Two evaluation criteria are used to evaluate applications.
1. Professionalism of the applicant
- The applicant’s description of previous activities in the art, culture and creative sectors.
2. Reduction in work and income due to the COVID-19 pandemic during the period 01.12.2021 – 28.02.2022
- The applicant’s clarification.
Both evaluation criteria must be met in order to be eligible for a grant. Applications shall be compared with each other in the overall evaluation. The decision-making shall take into account previous COVID-19 grants that have been received, any support that may have been awarded by other parties, the regional distribution of applicants, different professional groups within the art and creative sectors, equality and fair treatment. The amount of available funding shall also be taken into consideration. All grants are discretionary, i.e. there is no subjective right to them, even if all the criteria are fulfilled.
Additional terms and conditions
- Applications may not be amended after the application period.
- The period of time during which the grant must be used (01.04. – 30.06.2022) cannot be changed.
- Recipients must submit written clarification of how the grant was used after the end of the grant period.
- Grants are awarded on condition that Parliament allocates the required appropriations in the first supplementary State budget for 2022 and allocates the funds for this as proposed by the Government.
Grounds for not awarding the support
- If the application arrives after the application deadline. Applications must be received by Taike by 4pm (16:00) on the last day of the application period.
- If the application is incomplete and the required information has not been supplied before the end of the application period.
- If the applicant has not submitted written clarification of support previously awarded by Taike before the given deadline.
Decisions are subject to the Act (657/2012) and statute (727/2012) on Taiteen edistämiskeskus (only in Finnish); the Act on Discretionary Government Transfers (688/2001); and the Administrative Procedure Act (434/2003). The Arts Promotion Centre Finland monitors the use of grants and is entitled if necessary to review the finances and activities of the recipient.
What to include with your application
It is not necessary to include attachments with your application. If you wish, you may attach your CV. Attachments may not be sent by e-mail. Applications and attachments will not be returned.
To log in you will need eBanking identifiers, a mobile certificate or an electronic ID card.
If you are unable to use our online services, please contact Taike’s customer service.
Notification of decision
All applicants shall receive written notification of the decision by 08.04.2022. You will be informed by e-mail when the decision can be accessed from our online services. If you do not receive the e-mail to your inbox, check also your junk mail folder. Applicants are responsible for checking their e-mail messages on the address supplied in the application.
Decisions made by Taike are public. For example, the media has the right to receive information about grant recipients. However, you may prohibit Taike from publishing your name on the Taike website.
t. 0295 330 700
Subsidies for communities
Special subsidies are intended for communities, such as municipalities, foundations, associations, cooperatives and companies. However, unregistered communities and private persons carrying on trade are not eligible for special subsidies.Application period ended: 08.06.2022
Subsidies are intended for art and cultural festivals that have national or regional significance.Application period ended: 02.11.2021
Subsidies are intended to communities operating in region for individual projects in children’s and youth culture.Application period ended: 02.11.2021
Special Subsidies for Cultural Magazines are intended to strengthen cultural diversity.Application period ended: 02.11.2021
These subsidies are intended to support individual projects of communities in different fields of the arts, such as associations, foundations, co-operatives and companies.Application period ended: 02.11.2021
These subsidies are intended for communities. These subsidies shall support the accessibility and wellbeing effects of art and culture and participation and inclusion in art and culture.Application period ended: 02.11.2021
The subsidies are intended for communities. The objective of these subsidies is to promote inclusion and participation in culture, as well as intercultural dialogue.Application period ended: 02.11.2021