These grants are intended for professional artists and art journalists. Private traders, companies, associations, municipalities, joint municipal authorities, cooperatives and foundations may not apply.Application period: 01.04.2020 - 15.04.2020
Call for applications
12.02.2020 - 13.03.2020
The deadline for submitting applications is 10:00 on the last day of the application period.
The Arts Promotion Centre Finland requires that applicants familiarise themselves with the call for applications before filling in the application.
Who makes the decision
Additional terms and conditions
What to include with your application
Grounds for not awarding a grant
Notification of decision
These grants are intended for professional artists and art journalists, and/or working groups formed by them, who are active in the region.
Regional arts councils serving as expert bodies of the Arts Promotion Centre Finland based on proposals by special advisors.
You can apply for a regional grant in the form of either a working grant or a project grant.
Working grants are intended for the personal use of the applicant to support his/her working conditions. Working grants are awarded for uninterrupted periods of professional artistic work lasting 4-6 months between 1 June and 31 December 2020. The grant period cannot begin retroactively.
The computational amount of each working grant is 1900 euros/month. The grant includes a statutory pension and accident insurance contribution in accordance with the Farmers’ Pensions Act. Other paid employment during the ground period is permitted.
Working grants are not available to applicants
- who have received full-year state artist grants or other working grants during the same year
- who have received a supplementary State artist pension.
Project grants are intended to support the individual projects of professional artists implemented during 2020-2021. The project must begin during the year in which the grant was awarded. Private persons carrying on trade (private traders) may also apply.
Project grants may be used to cover, for example:
- material costs
- production costs
- working costs
You can apply for a project grant with one application only. Select the artform that your project most closely involves. If you are applying for a project grant for the lighting and sound design of a stage production, select theatre, circus art or dance depending on the nature of the project. If your project combines different artforms in such a way that established artforms no longer adequately describe the project, you should select multidisciplinary art. You can also apply for a grant for artistic work or projects in the field of children’s culture.
Grants are not awarded:
- for completing an undergraduate degree
- for amateurs or hobby-based projects
- project grants for literature are not awarded for works of non-fiction
Arts councils do not award grants amounting to less than 2500 euros.
Previously awarded grants are listed Arts Promotion Centre Finland website.
Grant decisions are based on the criteria listed below and on a comparison and overall assessment of applications. When evaluating applications, the following criteria and questions are used, not all of which need to be fulfilled. There is no weighting in the decision-making criteria. The regional distribution and language of applicants are taken into consideration, as is the amount of available funding. Equality and fair treatment are also taken into account. All grants are discretionary.
Working and project grants
Previous artistic merits of the applicant
- Is the applicant a professional? Are the members of the working group professionals?
- What is the quality of the applicant’s previous artistic works?
- How noteworthy is the applicant in his/her field of the arts?
Quality of the working plan
- How clear and strong is the artistic idea on which the working plan is based?
- How long-term, well-planned and feasible is the artistic work?
- Does the working plan involve professional development, new ideas or methods?
Quality and impact of the project
- How interesting are the project plan and its objectives?
- What is the quality of the project’s artistic content?
- How does the project encourage an understanding of or discussion about art?
- What is the impact of the project regionally, nationally or internationally?
- What kinds of ideas and operating models does the project offer to the field of the arts, artists and audiences?
- What kinds of cooperation partners does the project have?
- How realistic is the project in terms of implementation?
- How realistic is the project’s budget?
- How essential is the grant for implementing the project?
- Is the amount that has been applied for in proportion to the contents and scope of the project?
- Does the project have other financing? Has other funding been confirmed for the project?
If the applicant is a working group
- The application should be made by the contact person for the working group. The names of the other members of the working group should be included in the application.
- The contact person should include with the application a short description of the artistic activities of each member of the working group.
- Each member of the working group is responsible for how the grant funds are spent and for providing clarification. The contact person for the working group is responsible for submitting the clarification by the deadline.
Additional terms and conditions
- The Arts Promotion Centre Finland does not award multiple state grants for the same purpose.
- Grants awarded by other parties are taken into consideration when awarding grants.
- If the project includes artistic work that is to be covered by the grant, notify the work period in months. The computational amount of each working grant is 1900 euros/month.
- New grants shall not be awarded if previously awarded grants for same purpose have not been used.
- Grant recipients must submit written clarification and a calculation (project grant) of how the grant was used after the end of the grant period.
Working grant recipients must take out pension and accident insurance. The insurance obligation also applies to project grant recipients if they use the grant money to work for at least 4 months in a row. The insurance must be applied for within three months of the start of the grant period. Applications should be submitted to the Farmers' Social Insurance Institution Mela. Further information: www.mela.fi
- Mandatory: CV of the artist or combined CV for the members of a working group (pdf|doc|docx format for electronic applications).
- In addition, you may also include two more attachments that are relevant to your application. The file names should describe the content. The maximum file size for each attachment is 4 Mb.
Attachments may not be sent by e-mail. Applications and attachments will not be returned
Visual arts applicants should also include 1 to 5 images of their works in pdf format (maximum file size 4 Mb), including details about the name, technique, size and date of each work. Files containing videos or other moving images may not be sent as attachments. Instead, we recommend that artists include a link to their own websites on their applications.
- If the application arrives after the application deadline. Applications must be received by the Arts Promotion Centre Finland by 4:00pm on the last day of the application period.
- If the application is incomplete (if the required information has not been delivered to the Arts Promotion Centre Finland following a request for such information)
- If the applicant has not submitted written clarification of previously awarded grants before the given deadline.
This subsidy is subject to the Act (657/2012) and statute (727/2012) on Taiteen edistämiskeskus (only in Finnish); Discretionary Government Transfers (688/2001); Administrative Procedure Act (434/2003). The Arts Promotion Centre Finland monitors the use of subsidies and is entitled if necessary to review the finances and activities of the recipient.
If the applicant does not have internet access, the applicant should contact Taike’s customer service.
Guidelines for applicants
All applicants shall receive written notification of the decision by 31.5.2020. You will be informed by e-mail when the decision can be accessed from our online services. If you do not receive the e-mail to your inbox, check also your junk mail folder. Applicants are responsible for checking their e-mail messages on the address supplied in the application.
tel. 0295 330 700
Subsidies for communities
Erityisavustukset kulttuurilehdille on tarkoitettu vahvistamaan kulttuurista moninaisuutta, tiedonvälityksen monipuolisuutta ja moniarvoisuutta yhteiskunnassa.Application period ended: 31.10.2019
Subsidies are intended for operating costs and development projects of international artist-in-residencies in Finland.Application period ended: 31.10.2019
Special subsidies are intended for projects that promote community spirit and everyday creative activities and environments, as well as to support occupational wellbeing by means of culture and art.Application period ended: 31.10.2019
Subsidies are intended for art and cultural festivals that have national or regional significance.Application period ended: 31.10.2019
Operational subsidies are intended to support the ongoing operations of communities in different fields of the arts, such as associations, foundations, co-operatives and companies.Application period ended: 31.10.2019
Subsidies are intended to support the ongoing operations of communities in the field of the performing arts, such as associations, co-operatives and companiesApplication period ended: 31.10.2019
Subsidies are intended to communities operating in region for individual projects in children’s and youth culture.Application period ended: 31.10.2019
The subsidies are intended for communities. The objective of these subsidies is to promote inclusion and participation in culture, as well as intercultural dialogue.Application period ended: 31.10.2019
Subsidies for promoting the cultural activities of disability communities and the accessibility of cultureApplication period ended: 31.10.2019